Tuesday, June 16, 2009

For the Baby

Hubby's son is expecting a son come October and as a dutiful step-mother and knitter, I've finally given in to the cuteness that is baby clothes. On the weekend I was digging through my (large-ish) fabric stash for something specific (more on that later), when I kept coming across all these adorable baby-suitable prints. After a short while, I may have gotten a little bit side-tracked and started setting aside baby patterned fabrics and stopped the pretense of searching for what I had originally intended to look for. Hey, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Yesterday, I was minding my own business, finishing a 10th pair of socks for hubby, when I was overcome with this compulsion to flip through the Mason-Dixon Knitting that I had borrowed from the library. And there was the One-Piece Baby Kimono, just begging to be knit. Sized for a newborn. Resistance is futile sometimes. I realize that now. It didn't take long to dive through the yarn stash and find a suitably fluffy and cuddly yarn. In lovely sunny yellow. And less than five hours later I had my first baby sweater for Mat's baby. With the cutest little buttons that I couldn't help gushing over (yes, from my stash). Sorry, but no pictures today. Oh, yes. By now I imagine you would have figured out that I rarely leave the house without yarn and needles. Yesterday evening, on the way to a 4-H meeting was no exception. As we were standing around waiting for the woodsman demonstration to begin, I may have started another kimono. Actually, I did start one. In gorgeous green cotton. I'm at the shoulders already. Hee hee hee. So fun and so easy.

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

4-H eh? What's your connection? Leader? Member parent?

lexa said...

You must post pictures of these spontaneous kimonos!!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

To answer your question Dorothy, I'm members' parent. I'm sort of contemplating being a leader next year, but I'm not sure since I'm so new to 4-H. I was never a member myself.

Holly said...

I am using up yarn on presents for babies already hatched. Since neither set of parents is going to do anything other than washer and dryer it is....acrylic.