Sunday, February 18, 2007

Balance

Blogger made me switch to the new version. Against my will. I am not happy that I had to do this. Whatever the advantages may be. Sign up for this and that, blah, blah, blah. There wasn't anything wrong with the old one. It took me this long to get used to it. It's not that I find change offending, but sometimes change just for the sake of change is a waste of time. I want the good old days back. When life was simpler; when kids didn't risk getting shot or murdered by simply walking to school; when families enjoyed family vacations together; when food wasn't laced with chemicals and everyone knew where eggs and milk came from; when the air was clean and not a danger to our heath, but an asset; when going out to play meant running or biking, or jumping rope, or climbing trees, not making such a complicated decision as to which game to plug into playstation or xbox. When parents had time to help their kids with homework, or sat down to supper together. When students actually learned to read, write, and do math in school, not just how not to get pregnant.

I personally think that technology is spinning out of control. And it's sucking morals, human kindness, the environment, all the good things, into the proverbial black hole in its' wake. You don't think so? About a week ago, I was watching the evening news and I was shocked speechless by a story that came on. No death or much blood and gore. Nothing that drastic. Worse. A woman was crossing a parking lot of a busy shopping center, in Fredericton (but don't quote me on that; my brain chose to hold on to the injustice of the situation, not so much the location) to get to her car. It was on a main road, there were people waiting at a bus stop mere metres from her location. She fell onto the ice and snow, and struck her head on the ground. NOT ONE PERSON CAME TO HER RESCUE!! What the HELL has happened to our society when no one is willing to help a fellow human being?? Hundreds of people are collectively willing to send thousands of money to help a cat, but not to help a woman get up and offer her assistance to get to a hospital? Is this what our existence is coming to??

I am fully aware that we live in a very diverse society. I don't have a problem with that. This country is made up of people of many very unique beliefs, upbringings, heritages, and it makes a great attempt to accommodate every person within its borders. So shouldn't it stand to reason that if Canada is making so many allowances for all it's peoples, shouldn't the country's people honour this country by at the very least learning it's language(s) and standing up for the National Anthem?? I can hear you all now, "what the heck is she going on about?". I have a problem, you see. (I know; I always have a problem with something or other!) I have a problem when my youngest comes home and tells me that so and so doesn't have to stand up for the National Anthem. BIG PROBLEM. What the hell is up with that!? I understand religious freedom, too. So what the @^$$%!*^ is the school doing teaching about Jesus this and that at holidays like it's law, when there is so much diversity in EACH school?? And after the holidays, why is there so much emphasis on what everyone got? Do our children really need such pressure and so many conflicting ideals? "Christmas is about Jesus", "Christmas is about how many presents you get", "Oh, my god, I'll never survive this Christmas", etc.... Yeah, like you never heard or said anything as that.

So where is the balance in all this? Good question.

Yesterday I spent almost five hours in a hospital waiting room. There were only half a dozen people waiting, and one ended up leaving before she even got to see a doctor. But apparently this is not looked on as a problem. I was informed the clinic had been open for two hours that morning. Well, gee thanks for that insight, but my daughter's ear didn't hurt at 8am. The doctor's office is not open on a Saturday, no matter the time of day. Wait, wait. Don't go away. I'm getting to my point. In a moment. We waited for over fifteen minutes before my daughter was even seen by a triage nurse. You know, because they're so efficient. Two and a half hours later, a different triage nurse started calling names for re-evaluation (to make sure patients weren't dying). Shift change. How nice. Couple people were called in to verify that they were still breathing (I kid you not!), and after they were done the nurse asked me "Brianna is OK? She doesn't need to be seen?"

me: "Actually I have a couple questions."

nurse: "Oh. OK. Come in then (if you must... I could have sworn I heard her say it!)

So I give my spiel how she probably had an ear infection, how when she was in emerg a month ago the drugs that were prescribed didn't work at all, and after seeing the family doctor, was given another round of drugs, much more expensive drugs, and I asked her how much longer she figured it would be because it was already 7pm and the only pharmacy that didn't charge an arm and a leg for a prescription would be closing at 9pm, and I was on the verge of broke.

nurse: "Oh, it shouldn't be that long. We're just clearing up the back log and there are only two people ahead of you."

me: "So there is no possibility that the doctor could just take a quick peak in her ear and say yes or no to the infection? She doesn't need a bed for that."

nurse: "Oh no. Then we'd have to do the same thing for everyone!"

Another hour later, after much crying from daughter that she is starving (after all, last meal was lunch), we are called into the inner sanctum. Where we wait some more. At one point I overhear the nurse speaking with the doctor, telling him my concerns with the timing, pharmacy, prescription, blah blah... I just about fell over when I heard him say, "There are all kinds of pharmacies open all night..." No, that didn't form a good impression of this doc.

When he finally graces us with his presence, I give him benefit of doubt based on a decent bedside manner and friendly smile. (Yeah, he wasn't bad looking either. Not that I was really looking or anything, you understand.) Yup, fluid in one ear, something on the tonsils, need swab, wait only about fifteen minutes. Yeah, right.

So, since I am brilliant mother and no stranger to hospital wait time, I was prepared. Reading material and knitting. Daughter and I sat on the bed and I read to her five books. Lengthy books. Then I stood up again and knit on twinkletoes, occasionally glancing up with a hopeful look that the doc might come back soon. One of these glances revealed a new patient directly across the hall. A tall man in leather jacket. Moments later a nurse bustled in and I heard her tell him to take his shirt off. He was there for a cardiogram. So I'm nosy. Sue me. But first, read on. No, his door never closed. Ho ho ho. Must have been my lucky day. (Brianna was polishing the floor with her bored butt.) He took his shirt off, and looked up as he was tossing it on top of his jacket. Woo hoo! There he was in this tight fitting white t-shirt. My oh my, that man was built!! My dears, it gets better! Yes, he was definitely aware I was watching. I saw that quirk of his lip. (How wrong is it that he wasn't there for me to stare at all those hours in the waiting room???!) Well, it wasn't long before the nurse told him he was good to go, and he could get dressed. There I was standing, facing his room, knitting on my pink sock, minding my own business, and there he was in his doorway with these thingies stuck to his BEEEAUTIFUL chest (my goodness, the man was a perfect specimen of a man!) and those wide shoulders and all those muscles, and narrow waist, and his jeans... and he was smiling. My way. How can a mother think pure thoughts after that? He looked down at Brianna sitting in the doorway, and back at me, gave another quick smile and turned to get dressed. Wow. This is balance. A moment straight out of a book and all the crap fades to the background. That's not to say I could find an open pharmacy for the expensive prescription, but I didn't lose my cool. Brianna fell asleep on the way home. And I reflected on the nice smile he tossed my way on his way out, the stranger.

Balance is good. Good night. Happy dreams.

No comments: